Braised Lidstones Pork & Cider Sausages with Lentils & Rosemary
Comfort food is essential at this time of year, and what could be better than braised sausages? This recipe can be made in less than 30 minutes and is always devoured in minutes at our kitchen table! I usually serve this dish with crusty sourdough, although occasionally with mashed potatoes if the kids are revenous!
12 Lidstones Pork & Cider sausages
250gm small green lentils, rinsed
1 tbsp rapeseed oil
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
3 tsp finely chopped rosemary
125 ml dry red wine
500gm cherry tomatoes
Crusty bread or Mashed Potato to serve
1. Cook lentils in a large saucepan of boiling water until tender (18-20 minutes), drain well and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, remove casing from 2 sausages and coarsely crumble. Put to oneside.
3. Prick remaining sausages with a fork. Heat oil in a large casserole over medium-high heat, brown whole sausages all over (3-4 minutes), then transfer to a plate.
4. Add crumbled sausage to pan and cook, stirring and breaking up slightly, until well browned (3-5 minutes).
5. Add celery, onion, carrot, garlic and rosemary, season to taste and cook until softened (5-6 minutes). 6. Deglaze with wine and reduce by half (1-2 minutes), add tomatoes and cook unitl starting to soften, return sausages to pan, braise until sausages are just cooked (3-4 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in lentils. Season to taste and serve with bread or Mashed Potato.